Every once in a blue moon I head over to Peter David’s boards when I need a good laugh. While I have in the past enjoyed Peter’s work (some not all of it) I cannot say much good about the man himself. Mind you, I only have had experience from afar and none of us is a zero sum game or as black and white as our detractors would paint us but I had my fill almost a decade back when David flippantly made an offensive anti-Italian remark and then compounded the insult by dismissing the slur out of hand.
I’ve spoken about things along these lines before, apparently it’s quite alright to perpetuate stereotypes against particular groups in our society, it’s not at all surprising when I see Rudolph Giuliani called Mussolini for talking about changing the law to allow a third mayoral term in the aftermath of 9/11 but hear nary a peep when Michael Bloomberg DOES just that to further his own elitist ends.
It’s a double standard that I just smile sardonically whenever I see it occur and make a mental note of the person doing it. Mind you, I’m not fully Italian but my surname does mean people make quite a few assumptions about me. As I’ve gotten older I don’t feel the sting quite the same way just thinking the people in questions are a-holes.
Anyway, I digress back to more David stupidity...
There was a post recently entitled: ‘Can senators be prosecuted over the ACA for murder?’
I don’t link to his site because I won’t give him the traffic and you can do the work yourself but just the statement is indicative of the depths of David’s ignorance and is somewhat emblematic of the shrill rhetoric spewed by the left.
I’m actually a fan of the ACA, I think it is one of the outgoing President’s real achievements over the two terms he was in the White House. However, it was a law with very serious problems built into it and it’s not as if anyone was unaware of those problems.
I’ll give Barack Obama an incredible amount of credit on this one and I’ll also give him a lot of credit for his counter to the spew being flung at him from the right. The President plainly said that if Congress can come up with a law that addresses the issue of health care reform in this country better than the ACA he will be the first one to sing its praises from the highest mountaintop.
GOOD FOR HIM.
Seriously, aside from the panic that has set in by some it’s one thing to give something to people BUT it’s entirely a different thing to TAKE IT AWAY. There are very real consequences for any politician or political party that does that and if the Republicans, the right or the Tea Party thinks they are going to have an easy go of things they should rethink that.
One thing... for all the noise about Trump, Trump is not stupid. I know that flies in the face of what some people would have you believe but did you think he’s beat Hillary? Trump also has very clearly said in the past the United States should have a single payer system.
THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND.
If you do some searching on YouTube and you look back at Trump appearing on Oprah and being interviewed even a decade before that what you come away with is that his outlooks and attitudes have changed very little over his lifetime. You would likely have a hard time distinguishing Trump of today from Trump of decades ago and that was a Donald Trump who was a Democrat.
What does that mean?
Well, for one thing Trump is not as close to a Tea Party Republican as he might be more in line with the Blue Dog Democrats. Trump does not want the ACA to be blown up, it would wind up being too costly to him politically and we have already seen where he has absolutely no problem calling out Congress even before he has taken office,
I watched Paul Ryan on CNN and he worries me far more than Trump (and should worry you too if you are a Democrat). Ryan wants to walk away from the ACA but what he and his fellow members of Congress are going to find is that dismantling the ACA is a bit like playing Jenga, only so many planks can be removed before everything comes crashing down and you lose the game.
Let’s get back to PD’s idiocy though for the moment - THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF MEDICAL COVERAGE WRITTEN INTO OUR CONSTITUTION.
That’s it, plain and simple. Making a statement such as ‘Senators being prosecuted for murder’ is just another stupid inflammatory statement in a parade of such statements to come from the addled brain of David. It’s something that doesn’t move things along it just polarizes matters further.
It’s not as if I really think the Senate cares too much about us either, you are after all talking about a millionaires club.
Oh, didn’t you know?
Just look here, and here, and here, and here.
Yet, we have perpetuated a political class in this country and so this is what we get. Good luck prosecuting a millionaire for murder especially if it is for the reach of passing legislation that retracts earlier law.
Right now I would be more concerned about the BS flying around about HSAs (Health Savings Accounts) which is being proposed as a replacement for mandatory participation. What is that? You aren’t familiar with the HSA? Well if you want to know more about HSAs, look here: A brief overview of the major flaws with health savings accounts.
Between that and the lie of the high risk pools more than ever people need to stop with histrionics and be able to clearly identify the lies in the rhetoric and shoot them down accordingly.
Pick your battles wisely.
In the meantime, the ACA is going through what one only hopes are growing pains. I cited before if you were nervous about the Republican control in Washington you need worry for a short time only. If the Republicans can’t get this right, you can guarantee Democratic control in 2018. There’s a hope Trump will not readily buy in to Ryan’s BS.
I just have to remember this moment and think to myself how many votes are there to be lost if they can’t get this right:
I’ve spoken about things along these lines before, apparently it’s quite alright to perpetuate stereotypes against particular groups in our society, it’s not at all surprising when I see Rudolph Giuliani called Mussolini for talking about changing the law to allow a third mayoral term in the aftermath of 9/11 but hear nary a peep when Michael Bloomberg DOES just that to further his own elitist ends.
It’s a double standard that I just smile sardonically whenever I see it occur and make a mental note of the person doing it. Mind you, I’m not fully Italian but my surname does mean people make quite a few assumptions about me. As I’ve gotten older I don’t feel the sting quite the same way just thinking the people in questions are a-holes.
Anyway, I digress back to more David stupidity...
There was a post recently entitled: ‘Can senators be prosecuted over the ACA for murder?’
I don’t link to his site because I won’t give him the traffic and you can do the work yourself but just the statement is indicative of the depths of David’s ignorance and is somewhat emblematic of the shrill rhetoric spewed by the left.
I’m actually a fan of the ACA, I think it is one of the outgoing President’s real achievements over the two terms he was in the White House. However, it was a law with very serious problems built into it and it’s not as if anyone was unaware of those problems.
I’ll give Barack Obama an incredible amount of credit on this one and I’ll also give him a lot of credit for his counter to the spew being flung at him from the right. The President plainly said that if Congress can come up with a law that addresses the issue of health care reform in this country better than the ACA he will be the first one to sing its praises from the highest mountaintop.
GOOD FOR HIM.
Seriously, aside from the panic that has set in by some it’s one thing to give something to people BUT it’s entirely a different thing to TAKE IT AWAY. There are very real consequences for any politician or political party that does that and if the Republicans, the right or the Tea Party thinks they are going to have an easy go of things they should rethink that.
One thing... for all the noise about Trump, Trump is not stupid. I know that flies in the face of what some people would have you believe but did you think he’s beat Hillary? Trump also has very clearly said in the past the United States should have a single payer system.
THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND.
If you do some searching on YouTube and you look back at Trump appearing on Oprah and being interviewed even a decade before that what you come away with is that his outlooks and attitudes have changed very little over his lifetime. You would likely have a hard time distinguishing Trump of today from Trump of decades ago and that was a Donald Trump who was a Democrat.
What does that mean?
Well, for one thing Trump is not as close to a Tea Party Republican as he might be more in line with the Blue Dog Democrats. Trump does not want the ACA to be blown up, it would wind up being too costly to him politically and we have already seen where he has absolutely no problem calling out Congress even before he has taken office,
I watched Paul Ryan on CNN and he worries me far more than Trump (and should worry you too if you are a Democrat). Ryan wants to walk away from the ACA but what he and his fellow members of Congress are going to find is that dismantling the ACA is a bit like playing Jenga, only so many planks can be removed before everything comes crashing down and you lose the game.
Let’s get back to PD’s idiocy though for the moment - THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF MEDICAL COVERAGE WRITTEN INTO OUR CONSTITUTION.
That’s it, plain and simple. Making a statement such as ‘Senators being prosecuted for murder’ is just another stupid inflammatory statement in a parade of such statements to come from the addled brain of David. It’s something that doesn’t move things along it just polarizes matters further.
It’s not as if I really think the Senate cares too much about us either, you are after all talking about a millionaires club.
Oh, didn’t you know?
Just look here, and here, and here, and here.
Yet, we have perpetuated a political class in this country and so this is what we get. Good luck prosecuting a millionaire for murder especially if it is for the reach of passing legislation that retracts earlier law.
Right now I would be more concerned about the BS flying around about HSAs (Health Savings Accounts) which is being proposed as a replacement for mandatory participation. What is that? You aren’t familiar with the HSA? Well if you want to know more about HSAs, look here: A brief overview of the major flaws with health savings accounts.
Between that and the lie of the high risk pools more than ever people need to stop with histrionics and be able to clearly identify the lies in the rhetoric and shoot them down accordingly.
Pick your battles wisely.
In the meantime, the ACA is going through what one only hopes are growing pains. I cited before if you were nervous about the Republican control in Washington you need worry for a short time only. If the Republicans can’t get this right, you can guarantee Democratic control in 2018. There’s a hope Trump will not readily buy in to Ryan’s BS.
I just have to remember this moment and think to myself how many votes are there to be lost if they can’t get this right:
No comments:
Post a Comment